Ryder System Re-Packaging Manager in TRACY, California
The Packaging Manager is responsible for the operational function(s) of assigned work group(s) in a logistics operation. This position provides direct supervision of employees, ensures compliance with company and location policies, procedures and work instructions in order to provide a safe and productive work environment, optimum customer service and accurate records.
The incumbent may interact with carriers and/or customers depending on the complexity and scope of the organization. All work is subject to review by the LM/SLM and Ryder Corporate Process Owners such as Finance, Human Resources, Safety, etc., as error could result in customer dissatisfaction, loss of profit, safety or security incidents.
Responsibilities will include the following:
Manage the Packaging KPI’s to consistently meet/exceed established goals, including but not limited to good manufacturing practices (GMP’s), safety, quality, productivity, sanitation, and maintenance.
Develop and implement Lean initiatives in the packaging area.
Focus on continuous improvement for production/packaging standard operating procedures.
Reduce overall costs by utilizing Lean.
Insure employees obtain training as related to packaging policies and procedures.
Effectively manage the customer’s orders to support the work flow to meet the production schedules.
Establish price quotes for projects to ensure maximum profit.
Manage inventory to its fullest in regards to the packaging area.
Ensure sanitation of the packaging area and the facility.
Responsible for the selection and training of staff required to meet the demands of the facility.
Responsible for consistent and fair applications of the company’s employee consultation and attendance program.
Weekly verification and sign-off of hourly and salary employees work hours.
Maintain daily reports that are established to measure daily, weekly and monthly KPI’s.
Actively participate in safety and quality programs.
Ensure daily communications and shift meetings provide the necessary information for employees to do their jobs consistently well while making them feel a real part of the team.
Ensure accident investigations, reporting and safety communications are complete, accurate, and timely.
Has a positive influence on and assists in the development of employees.
Conducts periodic management evaluations.
Promotes positive customer relationships.
Maintains union free environment.
Perform other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED
Bachelor's degree in logistics, supply chain, or related field preferred
Two (2) years or more of experience in logistics, warehouse or industry related field
Two (2) years or more of supervisory experience
Three (3) years or more of problem solving skills experience, use of formal Root Cause Countermeasure Systems preferred
Prioritize and organize work, along with strong follow-up, analytical, problem solving and sound decision making skills
Effectively communicate in both verbal and written forms with customers, employees, peers and management, Ability to effectively communicate in both verbal and written forms with customers, employees, peers and management
Create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors) Ability to create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors)
Work self-directed with minimal supervision
Work independently and as member of a team
Manage individual performance and employee relations
Flexibility to operate, and self-driven to excel, in a fast-paced environment
Capability to multi-task and highly organized with excellent time management skills
Detail-oriented with excellent follow-up practices
Intermediate computer skills
Exposure to Lean principles, systems and tools (beginner level) preferred
Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) (intermediate level) preferred
Material handling equipment may be required based on position (intermediate level) preferred
OSHA (intermediate level)
DOT and Hazmat (intermediate level) may be required based on the account preferred
• Communicate daily/shift goal of facility and group(s); devise, communicate and implement plans to obtain operational goals; work with and motivate employees to ensure goal achievement; provide progress or constraint updates to management and implement corrective measures as needed
• Provide leadership for employees through in depth training and continuous review of employee understanding of policies, procedures and processes; create a productive work environment through effective communication, coaching, motivating and leading by example
• Identify and/or solve operational issues with the account(s) by implementing continuous improvement and LEAN initiatives, to strengthen team unity, goals, productivity and results
• Hire, train and supervise Leads, Customer Logistics Supervisors (CLS), and/or hourly employees in the assigned work group(s)
• Support and aid in the development of system and process training for employees in the work group(s); perform administrative functions to include tracking of time, attendance and performance feedback
• Instruct and enforce location safety management plans, training and processes
• Assign employees to individual tasks and ensure required tools are available
• Perform other duties as assigned
Ryder is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Requisition ID 2018-61794
Category Logistics/Distribution/Transportation Management
Employment Type Regular - Full Time (4)
Travel Requirements 0-10%
Position Code 2174