Ryder System Lean Leader in AUGUSTA, Georgia
The Lean Leader is responsible for the operational function(s) of assigned work group(s) in a logistics operation. This position provides direct supervision of employees, ensures compliance with company and location policies, procedures and work instructions in order to provide a safe and productive work environment, optimum customer service and accurate records.
The incumbent may interact with carriers and/or customers depending on the complexity and scope of the organization. All work is subject to review by the LM/SLM and Ryder Corporate Process Owners such as Finance, Human Resources, Safety, etc., as error could result in customer dissatisfaction, loss of profit, safety or security incidents.
Responsible for analysis and utilization of continuous improvement tools to design Supply Chain Solutions for current and future operations. Provides coaching/mentorship to other site leadership. Provides regular and proactive communications to customers and Ryder Management.
Develop a thorough, effective and timely site improvement plan to address the top business needs at Ryder sites through the use of a strategic Transformation Plan.
Lead Kaizen events, Value Stream Mapping events, continuous improvement projects and other activities that execute the sites strategic Transformation Plan resulting in bottom line company savings.
Train site leadership and other key personnel on Ryder Lean Guiding Principles and industry-standard Lean tools to align with the Supply Chain Solutions deployment strategy. Examples include: root cause analysis tools (5 Why’s, Fishbone Diagrams, A3, etc.), Standard Work development, Visual Management (status at a glance), and 5S.
Work with site leadership to conduct Lean assessments of critical site and business needs.
Work with site leadership to update and re-prioritize their Transformation Plan to maintain focus on the most critical site objectives.
High school diploma or GED
Bachelor's degree in logistics, supply chain, or related field preferred
Two (2) years or more of experience in logistics, warehouse or industry related field
Two (2) years or more of supervisory experience
Three (3) years or more of problem solving skills experience, use of formal Root Cause Countermeasure Systems preferred
Prioritize and organize work, along with strong follow-up, analytical, problem solving and sound decision making skills
Effectively communicate in both verbal and written forms with customers, employees, peers and management, Ability to effectively communicate in both verbal and written forms with customers, employees, peers and management
Create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors) Ability to create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors)
Work self-directed with minimal supervision
Work independently and as member of a team
Manage individual performance and employee relations
Flexibility to operate, and self-driven to excel, in a fast-paced environment
Capability to multi-task and highly organized with excellent time management skills
Detail-oriented with excellent follow-up practices
Intermediate computer skills
Exposure to Lean principles, systems and tools (beginner level) preferred
Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) (intermediate level) preferred
Material handling equipment may be required based on position (intermediate level) preferred
OSHA (intermediate level)
DOT and Hazmat (intermediate level) may be required based on the account preferred
• Communicate daily/shift goal of facility and group(s); devise, communicate and implement plans to obtain operational goals; work with and motivate employees to ensure goal achievement; provide progress or constraint updates to management and implement corrective measures as needed
• Provide leadership for employees through in depth training and continuous review of employee understanding of policies, procedures and processes; create a productive work environment through effective communication, coaching, motivating and leading by example
• Identify and/or solve operational issues with the account(s) by implementing continuous improvement and LEAN initiatives, to strengthen team unity, goals, productivity and results
• Hire, train and supervise Leads, Customer Logistics Supervisors (CLS), and/or hourly employees in the assigned work group(s)
• Support and aid in the development of system and process training for employees in the work group(s); perform administrative functions to include tracking of time, attendance and performance feedback
• Instruct and enforce location safety management plans, training and processes
• Assign employees to individual tasks and ensure required tools are available
• Perform other duties as assigned
Ryder is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Requisition ID 2019-73019
Category Logistics/Distribution/Transportation Management
Employment Type Regular - Full Time (4)
Travel Requirements 0-10%
Position Code 2174